Monday, February 9, 2015

Author Interview- M.Kate Quinn

Happy Monday readers. 
What better way to kick off the week than with a new book?
And who better to present said book, than my fellow rose, author 
M.K. Quinn



Welcome M.K., 
tell me three words that describe yourself starting with A, B, and C.

Animated, Bibliophile, Comedian

What are your three favorite things?

Gatherings with friends or family, Old movies, Date night with the hubs.

Are you self- published or with a publishing company (if so, which one?)?

I am published with a publishing company named The Wild Rose Press, a house that focuses on all subgenres of romantic fiction.

What for you is the best part of writing? What is the worst?

For me the best part of writing is going through the completed first draft and “beefing out” the story.  I love that!  The worst part is the synopsis, a dreaded but necessary evil.

    
Is there a process you stick to, or do you just write as it hits you?

I’m a plotter.  I do a rough, and I mean rough, outline from which the story will inevitably veer this way and that. 


How much is your character like you?  

All my heroines have a piece of me in them.  They are “every woman” in the sense that they rely on their friendships, their families and the yearnings of their hearts.

Music is a big influence on my writing. I have certain songs that inspire each chapter, or the whole book. What helps to inspire you? 

Music inspires me, as well.  Love songs.  These days I am inspired mostly by country ballads.  Bret Eldridge is a new favorite as well as Lee Brice.

Describe your perfect day?  

A perfect work day:  Up early, oatmeal, zumba class, stop at Dunkin Donuts for a large cup of coffee, home, shower, throw on my favorite old jeans, nuke the coffee to make it hot again,  go in my study and write.  A perfect non-work day:  Take a drive with the hubs to explore a new town, a new winery, a new stretch of country road, find a hole-in-the-wall place to have a bite to eat, sip a glass of wine and be glad for the experience.


Will there be more books in your series, or can you tell us about any previous books?  

This is the first book in my Ronan’s Harbor Series.  I selected to tell you about this book today because the next installment is under contract and due to release sometime this year.  This book, Letters and Lace, involves a divorced innkeeper who begins receiving anonymous letters at her doorstep.  It takes place in a fictitious little beach town, Ronan’s Harbor, that I made up from memories of times spent at the Jersey Shore.  The second book in the series, tentatively entitled Restless Spirit, also takes place in Ronan’s Harbor.  My first series, The Perennials, included three stand-alone romantic comedies linked only by the fact that each story’s heroine bore the name of a perennial flower.


 Favorite item of clothing in your closet?  

I have this scarf.  I’m not a real scarf person but wish I was.  I enjoy the ladies I see wearing them with all various types of knots that I’ll never figure out how to do.  But, the scarf I do own is gauzy and is a kind of tie-dye mottle of blues, white and black.  It goes well with my denim jacket and it makes me feel trendy, bohemian, young, artsy.  All that from a swath of fabric.  Not bad, huh?

 When writing, which do you prefer to write with, computer or paper and pen?  

Back in the day I used to write with pen and yellow legal pads.  I still have ideas jotted on pages of those pads that I keep in a file.  But I write on computer now.  I am fortunate in that I have a little study in my home, a small room that is just for me and my writing.  I love my desk and my wicker-framed easy chair, my wall-to-wall bookcase.  This is where I create my stories or rather where they come to greet me.






 A chance meeting at a beachside pub…
A sultry dance with a stranger…
A brazen kiss…
Not a good way to meet your enemy.

Trouble arrives special delivery when divorced innkeeper Sarah Grayson receives a letter of complaint against the renovation of her Jersey shore inn for her daughter’s wedding. At a town meeting, she’s stunned to learn her adversary is none other than the stranger from the dance floor, Benny Benedetto.

Benny should’ve known better than to buy property with his brother. Now he has to protect his investment without letting his attraction to Sarah get in the way. When she begins receiving threatening letters, all fingers point to Benny—but he has his own hunch.

Determined to solve the mystery, Benny and Sarah search for the writer’s identity together. But the undeniable passion they unveil proves that sometimes while chasing one desire, the heart’s compass leads another way.

Buy Links



M.Kate's Bio 

            Award-winning author, M. Kate Quinn draws on her quirky 
sense of humor, hopelessly romantic nature, highly developed 
sense of family and friendship, and her love for a good story while 
writing her novels.  Her Perennials Series began with Summer Iris (Wild Rose Press, July 2010) a Golden Quill Award finalist for Best First Book. The second, Moonlight and Violet (Wild Rose Press, June 2011) won the coveted Golden Leaf Award for Best Contemporary Novel 2011. The last in the series, Brookside Daisy (Wild Rose Press, February 2012) was a Gold Leaf Award finalist.  Her next project, The Ronan’s Harbor Series, is a trilogy of romances set in a quaint shore town, the first installment, Letters and Lace, released June 26, 2013.    
M. Kate Quinn, a life-long native of New Jersey, makes her home in Central Jersey with her 
husband and their magnificent Beta fish, Indigo.

www.mkatequinn.com

8 comments:

  1. I love MK's books. All her stories are down to earth, laced with humor and romance. There's always a mystery, which unravels with each page. I can visual each adventure as if I were there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can always count on MK Quinn's book to make me smile and chuckle as I read them. Her character development engages you from the first page. I look forward to reading all her future books. BK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I have thoroughly enjoyed her previous books, I am so looking forward to the release of Restless Spirit. Sounds like a good beach read, but I am hoping to not have to wait that long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MK's books are all thoroughly well written books that keep the reader engrossed through the entire thing. I have read every one and look forward to her next one Keep up the great work MK!
    RH

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for being a guest today M Kate. And congrats on your many books. I'm looking forward to reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your interview, MaryKate! Love your explanation of a perfect day, work and non-work. You are one of my favorite authors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting interview. hope your book does well. love your publisher.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on the new release, M. Kate!

    ReplyDelete